"It will sound cheesy, but I love my job!"

Sheliza Ng joined the BBS 2019 as a trainee teacher. During the last school year she was teaching English and IPC in grade 5 in the Primary school. 

With loads of warm wishes for her new adventures we have to say goodbye, since Sheliza and her family are leaving Berlin this summer – due to a great opportunity abroad. We are very thankful for her passion, kindness and for having been such a great asset to our community. 

Sheliza Ng
Sheliza Ng

Sheliza, before we have to say goodbye: Let's look back together on your time at the BBS. How did you experience your first months here? 

In 2019 I was welcomed into the BBS family as a trainee teacher, where I had the pleasure of being mentored by Kerry John. The school has been so supportive throughout my training and teacher year.  And even lockdown was an interesting time for me as I was teaching and homeschooling, but somehow it all worked out.

What did you do before joining the BBS?

My family and I moved to Berlin 8 years ago, we are originally from the UK. My husband's work transferred us for a summer and then we moved permanently the following year. Berlin is such a great place to live and it really caters for young families. 

What made you apply at the BBS? 

My son was three when we moved here and he always said that he wanted to go to a school that spoke both of his languages.We had heard such great things about BBS and so naturally had it as our first choice school. To be honest,  if he did not get in I am not sure where we would have gone, we had all of our hopes on this one school and had no back up plan. 

What do you like most about your job at the BBS?

It will sound cheesy, but I love my job. I love the kids, the teachers and the environment. I wake up every morning excited to do new things with the kids and get them excited about learning. I kid you not! LOL

What was the best moment for you after everyone came back to school after lockdown? 

Errrr Maybe just sending my kids back to school….. eeek :-) 

What do you like most about the BBS and the community? And how would you describe the school in three words? 

I like the fact that we are a community, if that makes sense. The school in 3 words……? BBS “makes learning fun.”

What was the last thing that made you laugh in school? 

I came out of a meeting with my mentor, where we had some good belly laughs. Sometimes my cheeks hurt from laughing so much at school. 

A question you might have heard a lot: How is your name pronounced correctly?

It is the shortest name, but somehow the hardest to spell on the phone. LOL :-) It is the ng in Sing, ring, ding…...  It sounds like a sound. Some of you know my husband is half Chinese, so that is where it originated from. 

What are your plans for summer? 

Well, I recently announced to my little cherubs that I am moving to the States this summer. So, that is what we will be doing this summer. Moving house.

What is you favorite thing to do if you have a few hours with no pressure and deadlines? 

I love listening to my favorite podcast, "Super Soul Sunday" by Oprah, whilst jogging. I also love having a darn good coffee in the sun or relaxing with a book. Just the one mind you, I cannot drink more than 1 cup a day. So it has to be a good cup of coffee. 

Your favorite place in Berlin to hang out on a warm summer day with your kids?

My kids are pretty homely and love chilling at home in the garden playing games or having a silly water fight. We like to get the paddle boat out and go for a swim in different lakes too. 

Favorite lake or public pool in Berlin? 

My favorite lake is Schlachtensee. You can walk, swim and enjoy a drink and grub at the end. 

What is your top 1 book on your reading list for summer?  

"Talking to strangers" by Malcom Gladwell.

As you doubtlessly know ... BBS Primary kids talk a lot about things like „super powers“ or other mind travel fantasies. If you could choose one super power, what would it be? 

The ability to heal people. Like one touch and the pain is gone or they can walk again. I think it might sound like I am trying to be like Jesus….. LOL. 

I basically just want to make people happy and take their sadness away. 

Since traveling was not so much an option the last 2-3 years: If you could beam yourself to a place right now (time stands still, nobody would know that you were gone once you are back, plus you can stay as long as you want – and I must admit that the copyright on this very detailed question belongs to my daughter, lol): Where would you go? 

I missed out on a trip to Jamaica due to covid. I would go back and stay a really long time. Hang with my dad and relax at the beach. Eat loads and drink yummy stuff. 🤗

Sheliza, we thank you very much for being with us and being such a great asset to the BBS community. We wish you and your family all the best of luck, loads of joy and happiness for the upcoming journey. And a wonderful summer, of course. You will be truly missed!

Sheliza Ng
Submitted by Severine Naeve on Wed, 07/06/2022 - 14:05

User login